Community Update: COVID-19
Like you, we are monitoring the developments on the spread of COVID-19 on a daily basis. As a community space, we take this responsibility seriously. Know that your safety and well-being, and of your families and communities, are our top priority at this moment. While we take this time to thoroughly consider what we can do, as an organization and community, to best support and care for our kins, those who are and will be the most impacted by this situation, here are the imminent steps we are taking to prevent and reduce the risk of spreading this contagion:
- We are suspending all public events at the space until further notice. Should our events schedule be able to resume, in compliance with local health authorities, we will post updates on our website, by email and social media. Fighting isolation together, responsibly and creatively, will become evermore important in the coming weeks and months. For more information regarding how this affects the ASSEMBLIES program, read more here.
- We are disinfecting high-traffic surfaces like counters and door handles regularly.
- We are closely monitoring updates from the World Health Organization and the Center for Disease Control. We will continue to seek guidance from these agencies and local public health officials to implement best practices.
- We will gather and share information relevant to our community and those who are and will be most impacted health-wise by the virus, but also economically by the loss of wages, closures and cancellations. (If you have resources, please send them to us at firstname.lastname@example.org).
NAVEL relies heavily on private rental income to fund our operations, and widespread closure of the space will have an affect on our ability to pay our rent, utilities, and staff costs. If within your means, please consider making a donation or becoming a member to help sustain us through these times.
We ask you to be extra diligent and practice kinship by joining us in taking the following steps to prevent the spread of coronavirus:
- If you are feeling ill or have a fever, cough, or any other cold or flu-like symptoms, please stay home.
- Practice social distancing, keep a distance of at least 6 feet with other folks.
- Frequently and thoroughly wash your hands. Experts say that frequent handwashing is the best way to prevent the spread of the virus. Even something as simple as hand washing needs to be done right, so here are the instructions from the CDC: Wet your hands with clean, running water (warm or cold), turn off the tap, and apply soap. Lather your hands by rubbing them together for at least 20 seconds, including the backs of your hands, between your fingers, and under your nails.
- Consult reliable sources for up-to-date, accurate information about the coronavirus:
Los Angeles County Department of Public Health(LACDPH, County). LA County residents can also call 2-1-1.
California Department of Public Health(CDPH, State)
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC, National)
World Health Organization (WHO, International)
Image by NEXU Science Communication